About usThe Institute of Legacy Management (ILM) is the membership body for legacy professionals – those responsible for the successful and sensitive administration of donors’ final gifts to charitable organisations.
The Institute was established in 1999 to provide individual legacy professionals, often relatively isolated within their respective organisations, with a network of support and dedicated training services. Today it represents and supports more than 500 individuals, working in over 350 charities, not-for-profit organisations and associated professions.
Across the sector, legacy professionals are responsible for over £2.4bn of charitable income each year – income that many charitable organisations rely on for their survival. They are proud to do the work they do, they know they are representing a person’s final wishes, and they conduct their work with great skill and compassion.
Ultimately the ILM seeks to ensure that every donor’s charitable legacy achieves its greatest potential. In working towards that goal, the Institute partners with a range of companies and professional bodies to ensure the legal environment supports and promotes charity legacy giving, and to offer members additional support, information and collaboration opportunities.
We are proud to
- Act as a crucial network uniting legacy professionals across the UK
- Provide dedicated training services to maintain and improve practices across the profession
- Work with probate professionals and other service providers to improve and strengthen the legacy management process from start to finish
- Maintain and deliver information about the legacy management profession to the wider community
- Help define and share the highest professional standards for legacy management
vision and mission
Find out more about our purpose and role within the legacy sector
meet the team
Get to know the people behind the scenes at ILM
Find out more about ILM and our position on key issues affecting the sector
Find out how to get in touch with the team