Key facts and figures
- ILM was established in 1999 to provide individual legacy professionals with training services and a network of support, and today represents over 300 charities and not-for-profit organisations.
- ILM works to ensure more that £2 billion of legacy gifts received by UK charities each year is managed in accordance with donors’ wishes and in compliance with the Law.
- Charitable estates were worth £15 billion in 2015, growing by over £2.2 billion over a two-year period (Smee & Ford).
- In 2015 14.6% of the value of charitable estates (donor wealth) went to charities, with 36,080 estates containing a gift to charity (6 in every 100 deaths) (Smee & Ford).
- It is estimated that a 4% growth in legacy giving could raise an extra £1 billion for UK charities. http://www.rememberacharity.org.uk/solicitors-will-writers/who-we-are/charitable-legacies/
- The number of deaths in the UK is likely to rise 20% over the next 20 years, resulting in a probable increase in legacy gifts left to charities. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-32349490