Freeths is the new name for Henmans Freeth. Same lawyers, different name.
The team is known for its technical expertise, high quality advice and commitment to the third sector. The team takes a firm but fair approach to claims, recognising the special position of the third sector in the eyes of the public.
The team undertakes a wide range of contentious probate work for the third sector. The cases handled frequently involve complex will/ trust disputes and problem estates where charities are major beneficiaries. We regularly deal with extremely high value estates and claims. The team’s expertise includes:
- Probate actions where the mental capacity of the deceased is in dispute, or other disputes relating to a will, e.g want of knowledge and approval claims, undue influence claims, etc;
- Applications under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975;
- Actions against negligent and/or fraudulent personal representatives for breach of trust;
- Litigation involving the construction of wills and trusts, rectification actions, applications to remove/ substitute executors or trustees.
- Overseas trust litigation;
- Asset tracing and recovery.
Angela Bowman – Partner
Angela heads the team handling contentious trust and probate work for charities. She deals with a wide range of disputes involving Wills, including probate actions where the mental capacity of the deceased is in dispute, want of knowledge and approval claims and undue influence claims. Angela also handles complex applications under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975; constructive trust and estoppel claims; litigation involving construction of wills and trusts; actions for or against personal representatives accused of breach of trust; rectification claims and applications to remove or replace executors or trustees.
Angela acts for a large number of national charities, including Cancer Research UK, RSPCA, British Heart Foundation, Cats Protection, Dogs Trust, The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, The National Kidney Research Fund, Oxfam, Multiple Sclerosis Society and The Blue Cross.
Angela is a member of ACTAPS (the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists) and a member of the Charity Law Association. She regularly gives workshops to clients on contentious trust and probate related issues. The Chambers directory ranks Angela as an expert on contentious probate matters.
Our general email address is email@example.com